sábado, abril 19, 2008

Back to some old habit

After giving up my mountain bike to an uncle who needs to practice regular cycling following his mild stroke, I finally decided to replace that 10-year-old mountain bike (purchased in 1997) with a new one. Last Easter Sunday, Joy and I braved the harsh summer heat and headed to Raon, Quiapo where there's a line of bicycle shops where one can supposedly find the cheapest bikes, parts and accessories. An hour of haggling with the rather cunning shop attendant saw me opting for this hunky and clever-looking mountain bike you see on the picture above. The good thing about buying in Raon was that you could simply choose one of the bikes on display, and tell them to upgrade some bike parts as you wish. I did ask them to change a couple of the original parts, so mine turned out about double the original price, but I still believe it was a good buy.

My first mountain bike was silver-painted and had an armrest that resembled the bending horns of a bull, and it was my companion whenever I hit the roads at night from my house in Sta. Mesa to places as far as UP Diliman, White Plains, Greenhills and Roxas Boulevard.

My new bike is now almost a month-old, and it does feel good to be back to some old habits.

No hay comentarios: