sábado, febrero 04, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Two nights ago I watched Brokeback Mountain on my laptop but until now I still can't flush it out of my system. I'm not even sure if the movie has hit the theaters in Malaga. I just downloaded it from the local area network of the dorm, not knowing I was in for a great movie-viewing surprise.

I'm actually feeling exhausted now because I've been stuck in my room for the past two days working. I wasn't supposed to touch this blog until I was done with my thesis' first chapter. However, I felt today that I must do something, somehow, in order to free my mind from the torments of Ang Lee's masterpiece. I needed some form of catharsis.

The thing is that the movie is so sad, and the sadness continues and overpowers you as the days pass after you've seen it. It is like a wound which is healing on the surface, when in fact the flesh underneath continues to hurt like hell and rot. It was just unbearable to see the story end that way because the two main characters' fate was rather unexpected, and to make it worse, it is final.

The movie reminds me of Bridges of Madison County, over which I cried buckets but which none of my college orgmates liked. Brokeback is very much like Bridges. Some parts are slow and have little dialogue but the air is always thick with subtle tension. It forces you to deal with death, regret and separation which are some of the things that I can't handle when watching a movie.

The movie reminds me, too, of an old flame. The situation was not exactly identical but the setting was Mt. Fuji in Japan. How's that for a movie title? I guess that makes Brokeback even sadder for me, but enough now with comparisons.

3 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

well, as for the ebook, my palm crashed this morning, but it's back up now. lost all data. naka-back up naman. give me the day to fix everything and soothe my frayed nerves. then papadala ko sa yo.

Setsuna_san dijo...

i was able to read the short story before seeing the film. it was indeed very sad and very realistic. i guess for people like us falling inlove always happens at the wrong time and place.

Anónimo dijo...

i actually thought the film was overrated. i didn't get carried away in any of the scenes. it was a good film though. the best "gay oriented" film i have watched so far, but not really oscar worthy in my opinion